Our lecture keynote last week was John Devine who is the COO of Threadneedle and previously a vice president at Merrill Lynch. It was a superb talk very engaging and eye opening as I had always thought as the COO as an operations role.
- Treat your boss as a partner you are a team
- Your personal values need to match the organisational values
- Recognise and use opportunity
- Manage conflict or it will destroy you
- Healthy conflict (challenge and debate) is a good thing
- Don’t hide from your mistakes, accept them and deal with them
- Be open and honest with people
What does a COO do?
- Day-to-day operations
- Strategic development
What are typical COO traits?
- Understanding of organisational context and business cycles
- Broad business understanding
- Credible (must have had previous success)
- The ability to get things done
- Understanding of organisational dynamics
- Clear messages
- Manages conflict within organisation